Today’s Reading: Ether 6
3 And thus the Lord caused stones to shine in darkness, to give light unto men, women, and children, that they might not cross the great waters in darkness.
I wish that I had the faith of the brother of Jared.
Faith to say, “Lord, I know that if thou touches these stones then we will have the light that we need.” And to not only say that but KNOW, without any doubt in your mind, that it would happen.
Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is powerful. He is the light that shines in the darkness of our lives and through our faith in Him, we can experience joy in times of sorrow, strength in times of weakness, and hope in times of despair.
With the light of the Savior guiding us, we can be a light to others. We can be Christ’s hands here on earth. We can lift, strengthen, help, and love our brothers and sisters. Through the power of the Spirit, we can help them feel of Christ’s love for them.
What are some ways that we can do this? Our dear prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, has given us counsel on what we can do to be a light shining in the darkness.
In general conference, President Thomas S. Monson shared attributes from Paul’s Epistle to Timothy that we can cultivate to stand out from the world as examples of the believers (see 1 Timothy 4:12). “As we do so,” he said, “our lights will shine for others to see.”
FIVE ATTRIBUTES THAT WE SHOULD CULTIVATE
- Our conversation. Our words can lift and inspire. Follow the Savior’s example of speaking with tolerance and kindness.
- Our love. We have the opportunity to help and lift those around us who are lonely, ill, or discouraged. As we emulate the Savior, we will bless lives.
- Our spirit. We should strive to be kind, grateful, and forgiving. We will radiate the Light of Christ and help us feel His love for us. It will be recognized by others.
- Our faith. We trust in the Lord and in His word. We have the beliefs that guide our thoughts and actions. Our faith in our Savior and our Heavenly Father will influence all we do and will be an anchor for our lives.
- Our purity. We are to be clean in body, mind, and spirit. To have the Holy Ghost as our constant companion we must be worthy. Being pure will bring us peace of mind and qualify us to receive the Savior’s promises.
“Those things which make us different from most of the world also provide us with that light and that spirit which will shine in an increasingly dark world.” -Thomas S. Monson [i]
As we cultivate these attributes and focus our attention on the Savior of the World, we will be able to be a light in the darkness and LIGHT the WORLD with goodness and love.
How will you #LIGHTtheWORLD today?